At Preston North East we implement the Australian Curriculum and Mathematics is a major discipline based learning strand. Learning mathematics creates opportunities for and enriches the lives of all Australians. The Australian Curriculum: Mathematics is based upon essential mathematical skills and knowledge in Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics and Probability. It develops the numeracy capabilities that all students need in their personal, work and everyday life, and is taught with the practical application of Numeracy ideas in mind.
We expect our students to:
- acquire a range of mathematical skills and knowledge
- be able to select and effectively apply concepts, facts, procedures and strategies
- clearly communicate quantitative and logical ideas
- recognise that mathematics is of fundamental importance to the functioning of society across cultures, through history and into the future
We aim to make mathematics a positive experience through which students develop confidence and consolidate knowledge in situations related to real life. We link learning to what they know and what they want to know.
The provision of an active learning environment for all students enables learners to:
- acquire basic number facts
- develop computation and problem solving skills
- investigate patterns, relationships and problems
- participate in a wide variety of activities
- have opportunities to experience, experiment and explore
- be involved in both independent and co-operative work
- experience Mathematics as interesting, relevant, enjoyable and challenging
- reflect on their learning
- utilise technology in their mathematics learning
Features of the Preston North East Numeracy program:
The web based Mathletics program has proven extremely popular with F-6 students since 2008. Our students love using the program to practice their mathematics skills as well as challenge their knowledge with extension activities. Many of our students enjoy using Mathletics from home and most areas of the school include a Mathletics homework component.
Each year we hold a Maths competition throughout the school. All students playoff to be the class champion and in turn the year level champion. The winners must not only master their knowledge of mathematical facts, but also solve challenging word problems.
Maths Teams’ Problem Solving Challenge
The Maths Teams’ Problem Solving Challenge is the newest addition to the PNE Maths calendar, however it has quickly become one of the most popular. In teams of 3, students race to solve complex problems to advance to the next question. Winners are the teams who work together and use strategies from the Mathematicians’ Toolbox.
2017 will mark the fourth ever Maths Week at PNE, with the whole school turning its gaze to Mathematics.
One of the highlights of the school year is the Maths evening. Students and parents flock to the school in large numbers to participate in a large range of Mathematics activities.
Maths Information Evening
Once a year we hold an information session for parents wanting to support their students in Numeracy both at home and in the classroom. These sessions are well attended and parents enjoy taking home some Maths resources and games to use with their children.